Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Meeting New People

                Being in my third year here at Kutztown University, I never thought I would ever interact or come even relatively close to getting along with one of the towns people. With my background and judgment, I never wanted to even interact with anyone from the town. So with this being said I do have to admit that this person approached me, but normally I would have tried to end the conversation quickly and carry on with my day. At “club” shorty’s on wing night, a man approached the table where myself and two of my teammates were seated completely focused on eating the god like teriyaki wings. He said his name, which I also have to admit I quickly forgot, and told us he overheard our conversation about football and asked if we were on the team. We all answered yes and he quickly started telling us about how excited he is to have a winning team in town and how he and his friends bet on how many points we will score for each upcoming game. Before I knew it, we ended up talking to this man for over twenty minutes and found out that we had a lot more in common with him than we ever would have thought, especially considering how much older he is and by the way he was dressed. The man turned out to be a crazed football fan from the greater Philly area that moved out here for work. The whole event turned out to be a great learning experience for me about the prejudgments that most students have about the people that live in this town.     

1 comment:

  1. Josh -- it's nice when people surprise us in a positive way. What have we covered in class about personal prototypes, sociological and psychological rules of approach, relationship development, etc, that could be used to analyze this situation? Don't forget to read posts aloud for a grammar check (i.e. use "I" where "myself" is in this one.")

    ReplyDelete