Monday, February 6, 2012

SPE 210 Blog #1 The Case for Public Persuasion


The world today is full of those trying to persuade others, and those being persuaded. This art can be implemented subconsciously or right in your face, knowing that you are being persuaded. Some are better than others at mastering the art of persuasion, and some use it for good while others use it for evil. Persuasion is used in almost every aspect of our lives, from politics, to what we are going to eat for dinner. Persuasion is everywhere although it goes unnoticed because of how well people are able to disguise their persuasion.
                Persuasion can be one of the most, if not the most powerful and effective tool in today’s society. Persuasion can be used to sway an entire nation on large scale issues, such as in politics, or to persuade one single person on a small issue. Persuasion is at its most effective point when it is not being used to brainwash or trick people. This means that persuasion has the possibility to change the world in a positive way. For example, persuasion can be used on a major political issue that can allow people to develop their own opinions and let everyone reach a mutual consensus.
                I believe that persuasion differs from person to person. I believe this argument to be true because the power of persuasion is only as effective as the person attempting to persuade others. Also, each person can be persuaded in different ways, some are persuaded easily while others will not budge on their own opinions. The point at which an argument becomes persuasion is when one side attempts to show the other why they have the best solution to something with credibility, while an argument is just trying to prove each other wrong based on opinions. Persuasion makes some evidence more convincing than others when the evidence is factual and has other supporting evidence. My personal connection to an argument greatly impacts the persuasion because if I truly feel that I am right about an issue I will do everything I can to show someone why they should feel this way as well.

1 comment:

  1. Josh,
    I really like the distinction you make about "good" persuasiong when you wrote, "Persuasion is at its most effective point when it is not being used to brainwash or trick people. This means that persuasion has the possibility to change the world in a positive way." For me, this really connects to Breadon's case for dialogical persuasion.
    You made another comment that I found interesting, too. You wrote, "Persuasion is everywhere although it goes unnoticed because of how well people are able to disguise their persuasion." I would just like to read more of your thinking about this.

    ReplyDelete