Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Communication is an art


     Communication and the variety of ways it is used can only be limited to the creativity of the mind, which is why communication is an art, not science. Communication is no different than a way an artist paints a picture, it can be designed and delivered however someone wishes. Communication is no doubt an art because of how senders and receivers interpret information.
                One definition I like is that, “communication is a process of acting on information”. I like this because the way someone interprets this definition is exactly what the definition is talking about. In other words, information about communication is given, and how you interpret the information is completely up to you and how you act on it. I think this agrees with a more cultural studies approach and how individual’s process information and how it is original to each individual, like interpreting art.
                Relationships can be good examples when dealing with communication, not in the sense that relationships fail because of lack of communication, but more because there is miscommunication. How each person in a couple acts on each other’s communication can bond or break them. For example when someone say’s “that’s not what I meant”, one side took what was said in a bad way because of how the communication was sent and received. Whatever was said was interpreted in two completely different ways between each other.
                I believe communication is one hundred percent art over science because of the endless possibilities and creativity that communication can be sent, received, and interpreted.

1 comment:

  1. Josh -- some nice ideas here. Keep working on grammar, spelling, structure and so on. You don't want problems with form to interfere with your good content.

    ReplyDelete